the Sender: header, the envelope/MAILFROM is expected to not match the
From: header. Here's the Wikipedia article on VERP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_envelope_return_path

There may be a problem with VERP if there is no clear winner or winners
in the formatting; if there are VERP formats that are intended to be
interpreted by software instead of humans, then those formats make good
exceptions to FROMNOMATCH.

As an example of what is too vague and relies on the human being is the
huge variety of mailing list, return, and bounce formats in the
MAILFROM.

I see a lot of bounces that begin the MAILFROM with "bounces", "bounce",
"bo-" or put bounce in the fully qualified domain name.

The only one I know of that is consistent is the "prvs=.+=" prefix by
BATV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_Address_Tag_Validation

Reducing the incidence of FROMNOMATCH in the subjective bounce
formattings may be too much of a custom configuration to maintain, and
would make a decent "combo" test.

I have been using FROMNOMATCH with a tiny weight since its inception,
adding more weight in combination tests. I recently looked at my Declude
logs, and found that FROMNOMATCH triggered 10:1 on ham:spam, that is,
the spammers are now more likely to match the envelope and From: header
(even though it's probably a fake address anyway).

My statistic has to be taken with a grain of salt; I use Alligate in
front of my Declude, so my results are skewed by omitting lots of the
spam from zombie hosts.

tldnr: Exclude from the FROMNOMATCH test when the MAILFROM is "<>", or
when the valid Sender: line is also in the header, or MAILFROM is in
BATV or recognizable VERP format.

Andrew.