> Aaron Scott-Boddendijk wrote:
> > ...[ the Delphi team ]... also ruled out overloading of functions
> > but this was the influence of certain team members and changes in the
> > team have resulted in overloading being implemented.

> Actually, function overloading was probably forced on them as a
> by-product of providing CORBA support.

> The interface discussion recently has made me think a bit harder too,
> and I have to admit that much I what I said was just plain stupid.
> Apologies. I obviously didn't think about my reply long enough (like a
> few other people who post to this list :-)

Happens to the best of us... As you say Function overloading may well
not have been a design 'decision'... Still it definitely improves the
language.

I'd be interested in a few syntactic extensions things like

var
  I :TDayOfWeek;
begin
   for I in TDayOfWeek do ... ;
end;

Might be nice... Especially if it accepted set notation also for things like

type
   Tx = (xA,xB,xC);
   Txs = set of Tx;
var
   I :Tx;
  S :Txs;
begin
   for I in [xA,xC] do ... ;
   {or}
   S := [xA,xC];
   for I in S do ... ;
end;

But hey we can all dream... There are a number of compiler extensions I'd
like to
see and I'm working on a list of them at work to suggest to Borprise... I'll
post 'em
to the list at the same time...

--
Aaron@home