Grant, I prefer two buttons if you have the screen real-estate,
otherwise one button.  I hate radio-buttons and checkboxes with
crosses in them.

On  3 Sep 99 at 14:34, Grant Black wrote:

> Purely subjective UI question.  What do people prefer on a toolbar or
> form given that there is some process which can be started and stopped.
>
> (a) Two buttons ie: [Start] [Stop] one of which is always not enabled,
> (ie when the process in underway only Stop is enabled)
>
> or
>
> (b) One button which changes - ie [Start] which once the process starts
> changes to [Stop]
>
> I suspect from what I re-call of POET and other UI books that (a) is the
> best choice as swapping UI around on people is generally considered a
> bad thing, but then two buttons take up twice the amount of limited
> screen real-estate...
>
> Grant Black
> Software Developer
> SmartMove (NZ) Ltd
> Phone:     +64 9 361-0219 extn 719
> Fax  :     +64 9 361-0211
> Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Rohit

CFL - Computer Fanatics Ltd.  21 Barry's Point Road, AKL, New Zealand
PH    (649) 489-2280
FX    (649) 489-2290
email [EMAIL PROTECTED]  or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]