----- Original Message -----
From: Max Nilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Multiple recipients of list delphi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999 3:20 PM
Subject: RE: [DUG]: I've had it up to here with TEdit descendants

> Trevor asked:
>
> > ...and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.
>
> Your not 8-)
>
> > Is it just me, or is any decent entry field necessarily descended from
> > TCustomControl?  Hey, is TCustomControl even a good place to start?
>
> TCustomControl is the perfect place to start building your own collections
> of edit controls that work exactly as you want them to. The Profax team
> has built replacements for every single data entry control we needed for
> our accounting package, and we have not regretted it one bit.

Thanx Max, I don't know if I'm parrotting someone's marketing slogan, but
having taken the plunge, IT JUST FEELS RIGHT.

Thanks also for your CM_CHILDKEY pointers, another of those things that I
didn't even know existed yet is likely to provide exactly what I need.

And now going WAY offtopic, I'm a Pascal boy from way back yet from
time-to-time have been forced to write in C.  With the standard C runtime
library, it is easy to create a file, read a file or write to it, but to
delete it would you have thought of "unlink" as as function name?  Do
newbies even stand a chance?