Re

> This approach seems to becoming increasingly common and is one which we
are
> also taking. It works very well for updates and allows you to do very nice
> things (such as update stored procs which update multiple tables, create
an
> audit trail, check the validity of the change, not to mention returning
> default/key values as described earlier in this thread). Unfortunately it
> doesn't work so well if you want to go to the next logical step and have
all
> of your data selection via stored procs - it's not really possible to
write
> good select stored procs which handle multiple possible filter parameters.

I think taking this appoach (updating thru strored procs) is a 'poor mans'
multi-tier
I would either

1/ Put in a middleware layer or
2/ Implement update multiple tables, validity  checks et al in triggers

Do you really want to implement a complex middle layer in a script language?
The trigger approach will enforce consistency of update, moving your updates
stored procs just splits the logic, doubles the bugs and makes your app less
portable

Regards
Neven