David

Re

> I'm also not sold on triggers. Maybe I've just never seen a good
> implementation, but in my experience they tend to cause performance
problems
> and are vastly more difficult to debug than stored procedures. One of
their
> biggest benefits is consistency of updates

True, Triggers are more difficult to debug because they are 'logically'
closer to the data, Though
I have never dicounted a methodology because it is 'more' difficult. re
performance issues, I can't see them being any less efficient than sp's.

>  but if you have a readonly
> database which only your carefully written stored procs can update then
you
> have consistency of updates anyway.

My problem with this is that it doesn't scale well, The larger and more
complex your DB is then
your library of update functions increases, the day you have 2 stored procs
that update a common
set of tables is the day the wheels have come loose

Neven