Hi Paul,

You could always switch to the Linux version. It seems pretty stable.
I had a variety of minor issues with IB for Windows, but getting the
guardian process to work wasn't one of them. Sorry.

I spent several weeks upgrading my IB 5 database to IB 6 (ODS 3)
recently so feel free to contact me directly once you get into the
"not as simple as it looks" process of changing data types on fields.

Still one of the best DB's around though :-)

Cheers,
Simon                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PM> Just had a look (ok just discovered that there is a log file) - it comes up with

PM> "InterBase database support is not licensed."
PM> followed by
PM> "C:\Program Files\Borland\InterBase\bin\ibserver.exe : The guardian was unable to
launch the server thread. errno : 1053"

PM> Regards
PM> Paul McKenzie
PM> Analyst Programmer
PM> SMSS Ltd.

the service did not have access to read it. Then I got something like this. Also check
the interbase log file for
PM> any errors reported.

PM>   Myles.

Apps.

PM>     I have installed Interbase 6.0 but cannot get the Interbase guardian (Service)
to Start.
PM>     I get the following error:
PM>     "Could not start the InterBase guardian service on local computer.
PM>     The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error
or an internal service error.
PM>     If the problem persists, contact your administrator."

PM>     Any help, ideas, advice much appreciated - I have tried various places on the
net, but without an actual error code etc. not having much luck...