From: delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz [mailto:delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz] On
Behalf Of Jolyon Smith
Sent: Wednesday, 17 June 2009 2:28 p.m.
To: 'NZ Borland Developers Group - Delphi List'
Subject: Re: [DUG] Embarcadero article

I think the vitriol stems from the idea that people believe (and I think
rightly) that the sort of garbage collection that people are asking for is
largely an all or nothing affair.

i.e. if it's added to the language to please those who want GC (but who -
for some reason - aren't inclined to simply use a runtime environment
provides exactly what they say they want) then that this necessarily
pollutes the language for those who feel that Garbage Collection comes at
too high a price and is just pandering to the inherent laziness in all of us
(myself included - I'd love to be able to think less, but I know that I'd
make more mistakes if I did, not less).

The distrust of GC as a technology amongst experienced practitioners (as it
typically is) of the black arts of software development stems from:

 - less efficient use of memory (*)
 - unpredictably distributed performance across application usage (*)
 - loss of determinism (debugging complexity)

(*) GC assumes a vast over supply of RAM and an availability of application
idle cycles in which to recover wastefully over-allocated RAM.

The beauty of the GC framework (ref counted lifetime managed via interfaces)
that Delphi ALREADY OFFERS (!) is that:

 - as you say with 'D', it's optional  :)
 - it remains deterministic

So don't you already have what you want?
All you have to do now is use it.  :)

--
 "Smile", they said.  "it could be worse!"
 So I did.  And it was.