People seem to forget that Delphi 8 was .NET only. Which as a "true"
product no longer exists. I strongly doubt anyone is using Delphi 8
anymore.

If Delphi 2005 was so unfit for purpose (which I do not agree with)
why didn't you get your money back. Simple as that.

Delphi 2005 still created binaries for deployment. We used Delphi 2005
for about a year before the D2006 version was released and deployed
our software to clients over that period.

I'm interested in knowing what made Delphi 2005 so unfit for purpose,
since I don't use all of the products maybe there was an area or two
are really messed up. The IDE being slow or using lots of memory and
requiring a restart doesn't make it unfit for purpose either. So let's
see a list of issues with Delphi 2005 on the table. I expect Paul must
have several since he is still using it.

As for not allowing upgrades from certain versions, well I owned a
copy of some slideshow making software (off the shelf). I checked out
the website for the latest versions, and corel now own it and I can't
upgrade to the newer version from my version.

At least you are being told in advance.