I agree,

Not sure if many people can remember but one of the main reasons that
Delphi was very popular and quick on the uptake in NZ (back with version
1) (other than product quality) was due to the fact that a lot of the
educational institutions had free educational licenses, rolling out of
turbo pascal and into delphi, which meant that you went through university
learning these tools and continued the usage on your way out of
University. The disestablishment of this model I think was the start of
the end for Delphi.

On another note, remember how puzzled we were when Visual Basic was so
popular even though Delphi had a superior component set ?

Microsoft has always been smart with their business model, and their
approach always has been to concentrate on the core functionality and let
the developer community take care of the rest.

Each time I hear about a Delphi for Linux version, or Apple, or all these
extension projects / integration options, I cringe with frustration for
what might have been if those radical thoughts had not crept in.  That
approach is amateurish and has no commercial basis. I applaud those on
this list that have slammed Delphi/Inprise/Embarcadero for heading off on
tangents. Its better to do 5 things well than 10 things poorly. Microsoft
try these projects every now and then and most of them fail, but because
they are a juggernaut they can sustain the failures. Delphi needs to
concentrate core only, but that decision should have been made 5 years
ago. A sponsored Project Jedi was the perfect avenue for extension sets
for Delphi (Sandbox or Prototyping). Note Microsofts model is to let other
people do the hard work, then as soon as they get good, buy them. Its more
economical for them, and takes the risk out of the development project.

Notice now, the majority of good component set makers for Delphi are gone,
back in the day there were huge numbers. That lack of support is like
oxygen that gets taken out of the whole equation, and Delphi is left
suffocating.

These days I use VS2008, C# and all the pains are gone. Multithreaded
debugging, remote debugging, interprocess debugging, .Net 3+!!,
reflection,  serialization, garbage collection, better code completion and
linking, the list goes on. It works!

I own a company which has 2 years ago started to convert all software from
Delphi to C# and expect to be Delphi free within the next 2 years. All my
consultancy is C# / ASP.Net based.

Delphi was the best thing out, but in my opinion has had its day.

Those people that have not jumped ship yet, in my opinion are making the
decision about whether customers care or not about the new rounds of
features coming through and thats a risk / reward decision and one that
needs to be made on a case by case basis. And don't give me the fact that
you can do anything in any language, thats rubbish. It may be true, but
doesn't take into account the economic viability for that time.

BTW, on last point, beware also about comparing the Delphi decline to
COBOL thinking you have time. There are very few similarities there other
than the fact that both platforms are dying. Back 20 years ago,
development was extremely slow (10 times slower than replacing a system
today) so investments would take time to pay off. With COBOL, comparitive
platforms were similar in construct at the time and alternatives were in
the 1st and 2nd gen bracket. Nowadays you have an environment where almost
every coder considers themselves an architect, and where tools (such as
garbage collectors) cover developers mistakes. Development time is rapid
+, and duplicating a solution is becoming easier and easier. You can
databind controls with a single click (orderable, searchable, filterable
grids) etc.

Ease of development is leading to a resurgence in Service / Support to
once again prove a competitive advantage and to ensure long term stability
for Software Providers (hence the SaaS model).

IMHO, if you are under 50 years of age and expect to be developing in 5
years time, and/or want to make money out of development. You need to
either switch tools now (and I would switch to c# + SQL Server), or need
to be multi faceted in your development approach.

Let the razzing begin :)

Matt.