On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 16:18 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> Hi Richard, and thank you for your quick reply!
>
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 15:52, Richard Shann <rich...@rshann.plus.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 14:21 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > new Denemo user here, coming back to Lilypond through Denemo
> > > after
> > > many years. It is really a pleasure to do note entry in a visual
> > > editor, thank you for your efforts in developing Denemo!
> > >
> > > Few questions, using Denemo 2.2.0 on Mac Os 10.13.6.
> > >
> > > 1. Despite my attempts, I cannot find a way to create cross-staff
> > > beaming in a piano staff. I understand it is possible in Denemo,
> > > but
> > > I cannot find the right command.
> >
> > Cross staff beaming is created automatically by LilyPond when you
> > cause
> > a voice to change staff, so the command you want is:
> >
> > Staffs/Voices->Change Staff
>
> Great, works perfectly!
>

> > > 2. When I select Export as -> Export selection as PNG, I get a
> > > message that my file has been created, but I cannot find it in
> > > the
> > > file system.
> >
> > You have to set your preference for a Image Viewer program to
> > something
> > you have in your path to view the png with. The message is
> > misleading -
> > as the help for the command says
> >
> > Command: Export Selection as PNG
> > Displays a musical excerpt in your image viewer
> > Location: Main Menu ▶ File ▶ Export As
> > Internal Name: PrintExcerptPreview
> >
> > so you have to have the Image Viewer in Edit->Change Preferences-
> > > Externals=>Image Viewer
> >
> > set to some program actually installed on your system.
> >

> I forgot to mention that I have already tried with Preview, Mac os
> default image viewer
> (/Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/Preview) without success.

Hmm, I don't have access to any Mac to test that. I just tested giving
the full path to the executable (ie what you get when you do

which Preview

at a terminal, and that worked (this is Debian - I don't know what Mac
O/S 10.13.6, but I presume it has a Linux kernel and Unix tools?)
If you execute

Preview somefile.png

in a terminal does it work? That is, does it take a filename on the
command line?

> > > 3. Is it possible to create feathered beams as
> > > in http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/beams#fea
> > > ther
> > > ed-beams? Maybe with a custom command?
> >
> > yes, I just tried it. I put in some 1/16th notes and then chose
> > Directives->Insert LilyPond
> > and pasted an example from the section you mentioned
> >
> > \override Beam.grow-direction = #LEFT
> > \featherDurations #(ly:make-moment 2/1)
> >
> > (well, this is LilyPond 2.18 docs actually)
> > and it feathered the following beam.
> > You could then take that Denemo Directive and
> > 1) create a snippet from it, or
> > 2) create a palette button that inserts it or
> > 3) create a command that inserts it.
> >
> > for 1) see View->Snippets
> > for 2) right click on the directive and choose "Create Button for
> > Clone"
> > for 3), well having created a palette button you could right click
> > the
> > palette button and choose "Get Script into Scheme Window" and then
> > at a
> > suitable point in the Beams menu right click and choose "Save
> > Script as
> > New Menu Item" and follow the prompts to create a new command that
> > inserts that Denemo Directive.
>
> Great, thanks for the detailed instructions! I'll give it a try.
>

> > > 4. As I'm writing a manual, where each movement is a separate
> > > exercise, I'd like at some point to batch export all the
> > > movements as
> > > individual files. Is it possible?
> >
> > Do you mean separate PDFs?
>
> Yes, at the moment separate PDFs, but in the future it might be
> useful
> to export as well as PNGs or SVGs.

The following script does what you want

8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><
(let loop ((count (d-GetMovementsInScore)))
   (if (> count 0)
    (begin
        (d-GoToPosition count 1 1 1)
        (d-PrintMovement)
        (d-ExportPDF (string-append (d-GetFilename) "-Movement-"
(number->string count) ".pdf"))
        (loop (1- count)))))
8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><

but if you put it in the Scheme Window and execute it what happens is
that it keeps asking if you want to interrupt the typesetting of one
movement to go on to the typesetting of the next, as well as telling
you that your PDF has been created for each movement.
So you need to run it non-interactively - put the script into a file
say /home/rshann/Desktop/MovementPrint.scm and then run

denemo -n -i "/home/rshann/Desktop/MovementPrint.scm"
/home/rshann/musicScores/Molter/SonataAMaj.denemo.gz

which loads my file

/home/rshann/musicScores/Molter/SonataAMaj.denemo.gz

and executes the Scheme in the script on it. (My file is compressed,
hence the .gz but it doesn't need to be, any .denemo file will do.)

There should be a way to directly access the generation of PDF for a
movement from a script, but it seems I didn't ever write it :(

> > > 5. Last question (for now!), after inserting some text and
> > > pressing
> > > enter,
> >
> > inserting it where?
>
> For example in the pop-up Note/Rests->Markings->Chord Symbols->Edit
> Chord Symbols.
> The same behaviour happens after adding text in other (any?) pop-up
> dialogs
> and pressing OK or cancel (for example after inserting a title,
> adding
> a chord name, etc.).

Hmm, that's what I thought you might mean - it doesn't happen for me on
Denemo 2.3 and I just tried Denemo 2.2 on Windows and it doesn't happen
there. I guess a workaround would be to dismiss the Print View
altogether and only bring it back when you have finished?

HTH

Richard