2011/4/25 Michel RENON <michel.re...@free.fr>:
> Hi,
>
> Few days ago, there was a discussion about the "style" name :
> http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/design/msg01436.html
>
> As I've been teaching the basic of OpenOffice 2 or 3 years ago, I can
> confirm that the idea of "style sheet" is not obvious. But it seems to me
> that the name "style sheet" doesn't help...
>
> I have a suggestion :
> what if we completely replace the name "style" (used for style sheet) with
> "template" ?
>
> "style" would be used only for "bold", "italic", "underline"...
>
> LibreOffice already uses the name "Template" for documents.
> It would be "document template".
>
> For writer :
> "page style" --> "page template",
> "frame style" --> "frame template",
> "paragraph style" --> "paragraph template",
> "caracter style" --> "caracter template",
> "list style" --> "list template",
>

> For Impress :
> "Master Slide" --> "Slide template"
> "presentation Styles" --> "slide elements template" ????
>

> For Calc :
> "page style" --> "Page template"
> "cell style" --> "Cell template"
>

> For Draw:
> "Graphic style" --> "Shape template"
>

> What do you think ?
> Might it help some users ?
>
> Michel
>
> --
> deleted

I'm not so sure... I agree that the concept is not simple (I also have
experience teaching the use of Writer), but I don't think that a new
wording could make things easier.
When we for example talk about how people dress in general (by
opposition to "on this particular day"), we talk about "style": so the
word "style" is recognized as a group of characteristics that identify
something. If you put or not a ring (direct formatting) is not style,
but the fact that you usually use or not rings it is. Someone that
always use a tie is identified as having a "formal style" while
someone who always wear jeans have a "casual style": but when you see
the tie man with jeans on one particular weekend or the jeans man with
a tie when he is going to his sister's wedding you do not use the word
"style".
IMO, the chain Format → Style → Template is perfectly valid and do not
need to be changed.
Cheers
Ricardo