Hi Ricardo,

Le 25/04/11 13:18, RGB ES a écrit :
2011/4/25 Michel RENON<michel.re...@free.fr>:
Hi,

Few days ago, there was a discussion about the "style" name :
http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/design/msg01436.html

As I've been teaching the basic of OpenOffice 2 or 3 years ago, I can
confirm that the idea of "style sheet" is not obvious. But it seems to me
that the name "style sheet" doesn't help...

I have a suggestion :
what if we completely replace the name "style" (used for style sheet) with
"template" ?

"style" would be used only for "bold", "italic", "underline"...
[...]

I'm not so sure... I agree that the concept is not simple (I also have
experience teaching the use of Writer), but I don't think that a new
wording could make things easier.
When we for example talk about how people dress in general (by
opposition to "on this particular day"), we talk about "style": so the
word "style" is recognized as a group of characteristics that identify
something. If you put or not a ring (direct formatting) is not style,
but the fact that you usually use or not rings it is. Someone that
always use a tie is identified as having a "formal style" while
someone who always wear jeans have a "casual style": but when you see
the tie man with jeans on one particular weekend or the jeans man with
a tie when he is going to his sister's wedding you do not use the word
"style".
IMO, the chain Format → Style → Template is perfectly valid and do not
need to be changed.
Cheers
Ricardo

The problem is that "style" is used for differents topics :
- character attributes : "bold", "italic"...
- paragraph formatting : "standard", "Heading 1"...
- page formatting...

All are coherent, except the first :
Only the first is used for direct formatting.
All others are used to define templates, or models, or "something-that-is-an-example-that-can-be-reused"

Maybe "Template" is not good/precise enough, but today's name is worse (IMHO).

The problem may also be related to something said in another thread (sorry, no link) : in the toolbar, there is just the popup menu for paragraph styles, without a label to give them a name ; and there is the same lack of label for the attributes (B, I, S...).

And I am completely aware that such a change would be big because of all the consequences (translations, tutorials...), and it should be planned only for a next major version.
So it's just an early early reflexion ;-)

Michel