> As it was explained at the conference, the code used in one will be used in
> the other, so we won't have two suites.

umm... thats what I said. I know that we can reuse code. I am going to
school to become a programmer. I am also an artist thats way im in this list
now.

> As for UI improvements we need to make them in an incremental way. No one
> will change the UI overnight, it
> simply is not realistic.

I think that the people in this mailing list think that I am stupid or
something.  this is the second time some one has told me that this will not
be done over night. I know that this can not be done over night. I am saying
that we need to start working on it. so that in a year or two it will look
awesome.

The problem is that mobile platforms use completely different UI
> toolkits and also have completely different UI needs etc.

and this is way I said some of the code.

Anyway, on the whole I'd agree to the notion that we need a mobile,
> touch-oriented version of LibreOffice to stay afloat.

It would be nice to have a mobile LibreOffice, even a web based one. but it
will not make or brake LibreOffice. the majority of all documents will still
be created on the desktop.

> Since porting to new toolkits/new UI paradigms is a huge pain, I think the
> best would
> be to see if there is a company stepping forward with a plan on how to
> make money from free software here... I don't know if I see this getting
> far without corporate support.

What???

I would like to say that I am not against LibreOffice Android/iOS or LOOL. I
think that these are things that will be great to have. im saying  that we
need to start on the UI of LibreOffice NOW. we can't wait to have a working
tablet/online suite to start working on the desktop UI. which is what will
happen if we start the tablet/online suites and not the desktop UI.

people are not going to download our suite as it is. my sister refuses to
use it, even for the time being until my dad puts M$ Office on her computer,
because it looks awful. people think that open source is ugly, and will not
use it because of that. our goal is to permote open source. Open Source
people such as our selves are going to use LibreOffice just because it is
open source and not whether it looks good or not. but most people could care
less if the thing is open source, as long as it looks good and works. we
have made a suit that works well, now lets make it look good.

when I started my first mock up on the UI I went though all of the tools to
see what we had. I was trying to see if we had most of the tools that M$
Office had. I was able to make all the tool bars that M$ ribbons had. but to
do this I had to go through the tool bar menu and weed out all the tools
that I needed. normal people are not going to do this. if they can not see
that LibreOffice has the tool they need at a quick look through of our menus
then they are going to assume that it is not apart of the software. my
brother needed mailmerge not too long ago. I told him that
LibreOffice probably had it, that all he needed to do was look through the
menu. hes a nerd as well, but he never did it. he knew that the tool was
there, but he did not want to go look for it, I even told him that the tool
did exist. there are awesome tools hidden behind things that most people
would not even think of looking through, and the nerds are too lazy to go
though.  we need to clean up the UI, NOW.