And why not both?

Get a forum for constant idea discussion, and for outside people to chip
in, give their opinion and even atract new blood and use redmine to
structure projects when these are decided to move forward.

And not wanting to use an external ID as a reason is a really poor one.
Don't you have accounts in any forum or message board besides this one?