Le 13/01/2016 14:35, V Stuart Foote a écrit :
[...]

When refactored it was provided with a simple View menu toggle "Modes Tab
Bar" so "power users", or the intransigent, can enable or disable it as
desired--but no longer consuming the vertical space by default.

Reasonable UI and UX--nothing is gone.

I discovered that change in the release note page (wiki) and found it interesting as it's something I've being thinking of 2,5 years ago :
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Michelr/LibreOfficeNewUX
Beside the vertical lost space, it was the "impossible button" problem that was really annoying.

Now that problem is starting to be fixed, I agree with Italo that it's incomplete : there is a problem of discoverability of the new 'Mode' button, it's lost in the toolbar.
So I just made a proposal based on current master version :
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Michelr/Impress51_group_buttons

It also takes care of moving buttons about slides (add, modify...) into the side panel.

Cheers,

Michel