Hi all
On 22/12/2023 10:15, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:
The font embedding is an example of a deeper issue:

If LibreOffice is a 'native' ODT editor;
and if you open an ODT in it;
and if you don't effect any changes in that ODT, but just save;
is it legitimate for the resulting ODT to be in any way different than
the original (other than meta-data regarding modification date etc.) ?

I think it might be legitimate in various cases. One example I can think of is how fileopen checks on a few things depending on what the user has or doesn't have, notably linked files and images. I think there's some similarity: fonts might get embedded if the file properties ask to do it, depending on the font's availability on the system it is opened on. Do you think there should be feedback to the user when such a thing happens? (e.g. a message saying "Font XYZ found, embedding it into the file. See File > Properties > Fonts to change that option.").

And why would you save the file in the first place, if you haven't changed anything?

Sorry if I'm missing the point :)