Hello everyone,
I don't know this so it might be a somewhat silly question. Within the ODF spec
are there mandatory fonts that have to be supported by all implementations?
I see zero reason to embed additional fonts if this is the case except for if
you have purposely saved in a font that is required for interoperability. Even
then isn't there a concept of a "default" fall back position?
Kind regards,
John

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 at 9:51 am, Stéphane
Guillou<stephane.guil...@libreoffice.org> wrote:   Hi all
On 22/12/2023 10:15, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:
> The font embedding is an example of a deeper issue:
>
> If LibreOffice is a 'native' ODT editor;
> and if you open an ODT in it;
> and if you don't effect any changes in that ODT, but just save;
> is it legitimate for the resulting ODT to be in any way different than
> the original (other than meta-data regarding modification date etc.) ?

I think it might be legitimate in various cases. One example I can think
of is how fileopen checks on a few things depending on what the user has
or doesn't have, notably linked files and images. I think there's some
similarity: fonts might get embedded if the file properties ask to do
it, depending on the font's availability on the system it is opened on.
Do you think there should be feedback to the user when such a thing
happens? (e.g. a message saying "Font XYZ found, embedding it into the
file. See File > Properties > Fonts to change that option.").

And why would you save the file in the first place, if you haven't
changed anything?

Sorry if I'm missing the point :)

> On 22/12/2023 9:11, Heiko Tietze wrote:
>> On 21.12.23 20:05, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:
>>> "LibreOffice unexpectedly and strangely modifies an ODT file without
>>> they user having done anything, and embedding unnecessary fonts nobody
>>> asked it to."
>>
>> Sounds like another facet of the font embedding. I would treat bug
>> 158588 about what fonts are embedded (CTL/CJK/Lat and used) and handle
>> the situation of shared documents on another. I haven't tested what
>> happens when one checks the embed fonts option and shares this document
>> with another person. Assuming her fonts would also be included,
>> silently, this is at least a privacy issue.

Just curious, what concrete privacy concerns do you see here? But maybe
the "notification" I suggested above would be enough to make the change
transparent and the user aware.

Cheers

--
Stéphane Guillou
Quality Assurance Analyst | The Document Foundation

Email: stephane.guil...@libreoffice.org
Matrix: @stragu:matrix.org
Fediverse: @str...@mastodon.indie.host
Web: https://stragu.gitlab.io/