On 05.09.2015 03:03, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> Overall, the new mockups are superb, great direction. Cheers for Robert
> and his wonderful work!

Thanks for the kind words, lets see how usable they turn out to be.

> I'm not sure how much I should critique all the details until we start
> implementing and working out the final end result. I do want to address
> one issue:
>
> in
> https://github.com/mray/Snowdrift-Design/blob/master/mray%20website%20mockups%20/export26/2-project.png
>
> The grid of "lots of patrons" is not our quadratic matching. I'm
> concerned that showing a rectangle of lots of user icons is too much
> going to confuse the message regarding the matching effect. In the
> quadratic matching, the users are only one dimension, and the other
> dimension is the per-user donation, and together it makes a square.
>
> Showing the users in a two-dimensional grid confuses things by having a
> different grid-looking chart. Also, instead of emphasizing how much
> matching a new patron will get, it feels just like "there's already lots
> of patrons, and you'll be just one more and be lost in the crowd." It
> fails to give the impression that your new pledge makes a difference.
>
> The impression we need is to get people to understand that all these
> existing patrons will donate *more* when you pledge. In other words: you
> will have an impact on this many patrons! (rather than just you will
> join them and be one more).
>
> Now, I like the wording "684 matching each other", that emphasizes how
> things work currently and the feel of interdependence and community. But
> I also want to connect the pledge button to the message that "684
> patrons will donate *more* when you pledge". Some combination is
> possible, or maybe just both messages can be present but to be less
> redundant, only the "matching each other" would have a number and the
> pledge-focused message could be "The current patrons will all donate
> more when you pledge" without repeating the number.

I get your point but think your concern does not apply here. I don't see
this as a place to get any message across how the funding works. At this
point we either failed to educate in time - or hopefully more likely:
the user already knows how the page works.
We must ask ourselves what we want people to do on this page, and I
think we want them to click the pledge! button (and to be signed in with
a multi-million-dollar heavy account of course)
People should get how things work *before*, *during* or *shortly after*
they created an account. And we need to make sure that they do.

What I *do* plan to achieve is this: Assume you know how pledging works
you start to have a interest in the number of people you are going to
match AND you want to feel good in joining them. Plain numbers are dull
and you certainly don't feel better when 614 turns into 615! But you do
when you click pledge! and a small new face turns up on the stack. That
way you are enshrined in the homepage (I assume using actual avatars
would be better but a real performance issue) and other people get an
intuitive feeling on how many people are on board already after a quick
glance. They also spot much easier if projects are newcomers or
superstars that way.

A side note: my plan is to use differently sized heads for different
amounts of pledgers, so that the 1-80 pledge list does not feel to empty
and the 6000 strong projects don't need to scroll so much.

> I *really* like the design otherwise!
>
> Last minor note for now: perhaps a clear watermark should be added to
> these mockups to make it totally clear what they are?

As long as nothing indicates these are final I don't see a problem.
Or what information exactly are you missing?