On 09/05/2015 03:21 AM, mray wrote:

> [...]
>> concerned that showing a rectangle of lots of user icons is too much
>> going to confuse the message regarding the matching effect. In the
>> quadratic matching, the users are only one dimension, and the other
>> dimension is the per-user donation, and together it makes a square.
>>
>> Showing the users in a two-dimensional grid confuses things by having a
>> different grid-looking chart. Also, instead of emphasizing how much
>> matching a new patron will get, it feels just like "there's already lots
>> of patrons, and you'll be just one more and be lost in the crowd." It
>> fails to give the impression that your new pledge makes a difference.
>>
>> The impression we need is to get people to understand that all these
>> existing patrons will donate *more* when you pledge. In other words: you
>> will have an impact on this many patrons! (rather than just you will
>> join them and be one more).
>>
>> Now, I like the wording "684 matching each other", that emphasizes how
>> things work currently and the feel of interdependence and community. But
>> I also want to connect the pledge button to the message that "684
>> patrons will donate *more* when you pledge". Some combination is
>> possible, or maybe just both messages can be present but to be less
>> redundant, only the "matching each other" would have a number and the
>> pledge-focused message could be "The current patrons will all donate
>> more when you pledge" without repeating the number.
>

> I get your point but think your concern does not apply here. I don't see
> this as a place to get any message across how the funding works. At this
> point we either failed to educate in time - or hopefully more likely:
> the user already knows how the page works.
> We must ask ourselves what we want people to do on this page, and I
> think we want them to click the pledge! button (and to be signed in with
> a multi-million-dollar heavy account of course)
> People should get how things work *before*, *during* or *shortly after*
> they created an account. And we need to make sure that they do.
>
> What I *do* plan to achieve is this: Assume you know how pledging works
> you start to have a interest in the number of people you are going to
> match AND you want to feel good in joining them. Plain numbers are dull
> and you certainly don't feel better when 614 turns into 615! But you do
> when you click pledge! and a small new face turns up on the stack. That
> way you are enshrined in the homepage (I assume using actual avatars
> would be better but a real performance issue) and other people get an
> intuitive feeling on how many people are on board already after a quick
> glance. They also spot much easier if projects are newcomers or
> superstars that way.
>
> A side note: my plan is to use differently sized heads for different
> amounts of pledgers, so that the 1-80 pledge list does not feel to empty
> and the 6000 strong projects don't need to scroll so much.

I see the value of that idea of visualizing lots of patrons. I'm ok with
that in general as long as we *also* include **right at the place of
pledging** the idea that all these patrons will add more to match you.
That's not present directly, only the idea that the existing patrons are
matching each other. I really want the call-to-action and the
visualization to indicate the idea that the project gets more from all
these patrons *if* you pledge. That idea isn't strong enough in the mock-up.

>> I *really* like the design otherwise!
>>
>> Last minor note for now: perhaps a clear watermark should be added to
>> these mockups to make it totally clear what they are?
>>

> As long as nothing indicates these are final I don't see a problem.
> Or what information exactly are you missing?

Well, for example, we don't yet have formal partnerships / affiliation
with all those organizations shown at the bottom of the mockups! We want
to and probably will get that, but I don't want to imply that we have
endorsements that we don't formally have yet…

Aaron Wolf Snowdrift.coop <https://snowdrift.coop>