On 10/19/2015 12:30 PM, Stephen Michel wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Bryan Richter <b...@chreekat.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 09:43:26PM +0200, mray wrote:
>>
>>     On 18.10.2015 21:18, Aaron Wolf wrote: > > We want people to think
>>     is "I get the project $15 more dollars, and I > only had to chip
>>     in $6! Thanks everyone, all you 2,470 others! I'm so > glad we're
>>     all working together to support this!" I don't think we want that
>>     at all. This makes it sound as if this is a big bragain.
>>
>> Then I think the message should be more clear. First off, it's crucial
>> that people realize "When I give the project 6 bucks, it actually
>> receives 15 since other people match me." That is THE Snowdrift model.
>> :) Matching-funds is one of the crucial differentating features of
>> Snowdrift, so if people don't like it, they won't like Snowdrift. And
>> if they DO like it โ€” which they should โ€” we should highlight it so
>> they understand it's what we do. We should be proud of it.
>>
>>     This fallacious good feeling is entirely based on the naive idea
>>     that you will never be asked to give more yourself - maybe way
>>     beyond $15 dollar.
>>
>> Isn't it two different things to say, "Your funds will be matched by
>> others," and, "Your donation won't change over time?" We can easily
>> say the first one without making false claims about the second.
>

> +1 to all of this.
>
> I'd like to highlight a different way of pitching it:
>
> When you donate originally, your donation will be matched by all current
> donors. When a new donor joins on, there's now another person to match
> you, so your donation increases a little bit (and is matched).

To be precise, if you're an average patron, then when you *first*
pledge, you are basically matched 1:1. But then every additional small
amount you put it after that is matched many times over, maybe
thousands-to-one!

If you are the 5,000th patron and everyone's at the base level, then
your initial $5 is basically matched by $5 from others. But when the
*next* patron joins, your extra 0.1ยข is part of an extra $10 โ€” your
extra is matched 10,000 to one!!

--
Aaron Wolf Snowdrift.coop <https://snowdrift.coop>