On 06/23/2016 08:38 PM, Michael Siepmann wrote:
> This message pulls in mray's comments from several emails into one to
> respond to, and snips out most of the what led up to the comment, which
> is available if needed in mray's 6/20/2016 emails.
>
> On 06/20/2016 04:20 PM, mray wrote:
>> On 06.06.2016 20:33, Michael Siepmann wrote:
>>>
>>> The good feeling is not just about being able to definitively pledge.
>>> It's about knowing that your max can match plenty of new patrons. I'm
>>> thinking about ideas for how to display it and word it. The key is to
>>> orient people to keeping a healthy buffer between their current total
>>> pledge value and their monthly max.
>> I feel pushy about asking people to always raise their limit.
>> Everybody has a limit and we should not make people feel bad when they
>> reach it. We should also be fine with having a *HUGE* buffer at the
>> beginning and with a *close enough* buffer towards the end. We can't
>> assume where the hard limit of people purses resides. ...What is a
>> "healthy buffer"? We should take precautions to avoid people
>> permanently getting into some kind of "You promised to pledge at least
>> 3 months, but it looks like that won't be possible, please fix
>> that"-dilemma.
>
> I'm not wanting to ask people to always raise their limit, or make them
> feel bad when they reach it.  I just want people to understand that
> crowdmatching needs some buffer between your current total pledge value
> and your max.  It needs to be clear that if you don't have an ample
> buffer, you don't have to increase your max, but you do need to either
> increase your max or unpledge to one or more projects.  I agree we
> shouldn't give any impression of making assumptions about the limit of
> people's purses.
>

>>> It might be that not displaying any scale would be better. I'm
>>> thinking of having a simple 3-state icon type of indicator,
>>> representing "plenty", "enough, but only just", and "not enough".
>>> Then the actual amounts might be expressed numerically, but not on a
>>> scale, e.g. in terms of % increase in patrons you could match.
>> I like that idea as it removes unnecessary info. A 3-state icon might
>> just miss the precision of conveying an the idea of scale. I'd be
>> interested how things actually look like, at least in proportion.
>
> This is probably best discussed with mockups.  For the moment I'm pretty
> happy with a red / yellow / green indicator with one number, as in my
> current mockups.  I'm not sure that more precision than that is needed
> or helpful here.

>>> I don't see how it's possible to make it so it "can't break" since
>>> there's an inherent conflict between a monthly max and a set of
>>> pledges that may exceed that max. In my view, part of the point of
>>> the UI is to communicate that conflict when it exists and encourage
>>> the user to resolve it. I think "Reduced total" is a valid concept
>>> here because it represents what you're actually going to donate,
>>> within the limit of your max, versus what you would donate if your
> [...]

FWIW, I agree with everything Michael wrote in his reply here. I also
find that even right here in this discussion the term "crowdmatching"
seems very effective at capturing the nuance. Michael was able to
express it as "this is the activity you are doing: crowdmatching" and
it's easy to jump to "therefore, you can't just set a fixed hard limit
that you stick to (like that you match only the first 4,000 patrons and
don't match beyond that) because that would not be fully crowdmatching,
of course.

I think if we explain all the reasoning, concepts etc. with the idea of
"crowdmatching", everything will become clear and consistent.

I'm not actually proposing this, but it occurs to me that an extension
of the slogan could then be something like "crowdmatching to free the
commons" or "free the commons with crowdmatching" or even just
"crowdmatching for the commons" (I don't like that because it implies
that you could crowdmatch for other purposes, and I want to insist that
public goods are the *only* legitimate type of thing in which
crowdmatching makes sense (even if that's debatable, I want us to take
that position — that crowdmatching for proprietary stuff makes no sense).

One more point: even though varying per-patron match levels may not
strictly be the smallest possible way for us to get an operating system,
it's at least arguable that including it may be necessary for the system
to start out viable enough to successfully fund the Snowdrift.coop
project. We don't want it to undo the network effect, but we certainly
want the 1000 patrons we may get early on to total more than $1,000 per
month if a portion of those patrons are wealthy and want to be at a more
generous crowdmatching level. So, I'm not 100% sure that setting higher
pledge base is not MVP. We need not only for the math and the system to
work but for it to be a fundraising success enough that people don't
write it off. My feeling is that having this as a factor to play with,
maybe test, explore, A/B, research, etc. makes some sense.