On 27.06.2016 03:55, Aaron Wolf wrote:

> I think the *vast* majority of pledges will set their limit for none of
> those reasons. They will set their limit to be conservative and know
> that they system will ask them for permission to go any further.
>
> If people are really broke, we want them to feel minimal obligation to
> pledge at all and lots of gratitude for *any* participation.
>
> For most patrons, The initial $10 limit works as "okay, I accept right
> now that up to $10 may just happen, but if things go beyond that, I want
> to be notified and have a chance to accept or reject the idea of going
> beyond $10."

The way I understand the proposal of notification would be: "Hey! $10 a
month seems to be ok with you, and you're currently only using $5 a
month...., but.... as we want to ensure that projects get funded in the
future when even more people join maybe you can up that limit to $15
already, because you know crowmatching works that way that things grow
kind of. After all you're just spending $5, but your limit of $10 should
better be higher."

> Nearly all of them will be able to possibly spend $12 or
> $15 or $20 just as easily as they spent $10, but they won't be okay
> trying this new system with a high commitment level.
>
> So, we don't want to shame them for not raising their limit, but we *do*
> want to say:
>
> "We hope you feel your part of this crowdmatching success was worth it
> and the projects you support have shown good progress and good use of
> their funds. So, if you're now comfortable with this pledge being worth
> it, please consider raising your budget, if you can afford to, and
> continue participating as the crowdmatching grows further and makes even
> that much more impact!"

That is the sugar coated version of:
"Hey you actually seem to like spending money with us. If you spend more
you'll probably like that more! .... just a reminder ...."

To which I could reply:
"Yes of course, you set up a system that raises my participation at a
growing speed without me having control over it - no WONDER that I start
get closer to the limit and end up spending money. That is what the
limit is *for*."

I propose to not make a big fuss about approaching the limit at all.
Let's stay completely quiet until we hit it and *then* deal with
consequences. Not having to deal with constantly adjusting the limit to
projects (which you really want to see grow) is a better motivation than
pointing out how crowdmatching works, and that it *kind of* is expected
to behave a certain way (wich is always to give more) just to do the
right thing in general.