On 9/23/07, Travis Reitter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I read the thread - I just responded in general. But let me get a little
> more specific:
>
> >From my own perspective, I would describe the three "competing"
> applications as:
>
> Empathy is a general communications program based around Telepathy, and
> meant to be well-integrated into Gnome.

The main benefit here is that Telepathy is a plugin-based general
> communications stack which has a lot of community and commercial support
> and in my (and many other peoples') opinion a well-designed framework
> which is increasingly polished and increasingly-relevant to Gnome.
>
> Because Empathy builds on Telepathy, instead of building its own silo, I
> don't think it's fair to call it a "duplication of effort". And I'd say
> that the Empathy/Telepathy stack is certainly worth inclusion in Gnome
> when we all decide it's polished enough.

I'm not against Telepathy per se. I'm not sure that Empathy is the right way
to get it in to Gnome, though. At least at this moment. Let me summarize the
concerns that I see so far:

 * It appears to be a fork of Gossip and intended to replace Gossip. The
Gossip author has stated that Gossip is not dead. Gossip has telepathy
support...
 * It appears to want to replace Ekiga. There appears to be no buy-in from
Ekiga developers.
 * It appears to want to replace the default IM client installed in distros
(Pidgin).
 * Poor documentation status (could be fixed)
 * It doesn't implement all of the features it lists as its benefits. (maybe
could be fixed by 2.22 release)