Hi!

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Alvaro Kuolas <kuo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only downside I found it is the software that I do not use, but, cannot
> be "opt-out" and be left out of the installation.
>
> Specifically, I do not use and do not want Tracker and Evolution.
>
> Even more, they are very difficult to eliminate and disable. They are using
> memory and resources that are wasted (even more on a portable system).
>
> They should be applications, that can be left out of the desktop, and not
> "core" part of it.
>
> It is possible to separate these parts or they are deeply embedded in the
> system?

Tracker is an indexing service intended for other applications to use.
It doesn't make sense to turn it into an application, any more than it
would make sense to turn GStreamer, D-Bus or X into applications.

You can disable Tracker's background indexing fairly easily, if you
don't mind that some things will get broken. In most distros, if you
move the files /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker*.desktop somewhere else,
then the Tracker processes won't start when you log in any more.

A miner could still be started in the background via D-Bus
autoactivation if any application calls one of the
org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.* D-Bus interfaces. I think only the
`tracker` CLI does that, but I may be wrong.

If the indexing process is disabled then the Tracker database will
become out of date, of course. Any GNOME applications that use Tracker
to find content will show only old content, or no content at all. At
time of writing I think this would affect Documents, Music, Photos and
Videos, but there may be more apps I'm forgetting.

Sam