On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 15:55 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> If I'm a registered developer for the GNOME org, or that particular
> module, I'd create my merge requests as wip branches in the main
> repo?Or as branches in a separate repo that I have the control of?

That would be up to you. Choose whichever you prefer?

> What about developers that don't have GNOME commit access? Do they
> fork, play in their corners and then create a merge request?

Yes.

> Does that merge request automatically create a branch in the upstream
> repo?

No.

However the merge requests get added as refs in the remote git repo, so
you can fetch them locally:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/merge_requests/index.html#check
out-locally-by-modifying-git-config-for-a-given-repository

Alternatively, you can add a remote pointing to the fork, then fetch
that to get the branch to merge.

> > > Does this rewrite the commit message to include the PR or bug
> > > number?
> >
> > No, as written in the wiki you write "Closes: $number" and it will
> > handle things automatically.
> > Of course some addition could be done to do the rewrite.
>
> Right, so that's not automated, and you can't know what to put in the
> commit messages until you've create the merge request. Kind of a
> chicken and egg problem.

The merge request gets automatically closed when you merge it.

The "Closes #number" is to associate the commit to the corresponding
issue (and have it closed automatically), not the pull request.

> > > Do we end up with separate merge requests and bug numbers,
> > > segregating users and developers? And yes, clicking a button is a
> > > problem when
> >
> > Yes. They are different concepts in this tool, which I though it
> > was an improvement. The bug is more about the discussion of what is
> > wanted/motivation/reasoning/design/etc., the merge request is about
> > pure code.
> > Not sure I would frame it as segregating users and developers
> > though.
>
> As Jehan mentions, it is. Users filing bugs look at open issues, most
> of the time, but don't look at merge requests at all.

Searching in a repo will give results both in the code, the issues, the
merge requests, the wiki, ...

--
Mathieu