Hi,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Bastien Nocera <had...@hadess.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 08:50 -0400, Carlos Soriano wrote:

The typical workflow as advised by github (and therefore I believe
that's similar in gitlab), if not mistaken, is:

1/ clone the repo you want to fix into a new public remote by clicking
a "fork" button in the web GUI.
  So for instance if your nickname is 'bastien' in git.gnome.org,
let's assume that 'gnome-shell' repo is under
git.gnome.org/git/gnome/gnome-shell, then clicking the button will
create a new remote git.gnome.org/git/bastien/gnome-shell.
  Notice that the origin URL is slightly different from current
(adding gnome/), that's because github/gitlab need are all prefixed
with some kind of project or user namespace (so I guess git.gnome.org
will have to update project URLs with this concept, no?).

2/ Clone your personal repo into a working branch on your computer.

3/ Make your commits and push.

Personally I don't think I ever did this, because I want to checkout a
code before even being sure I would do a patch. Creating a public repo
just to read code is dumb. So I just clone the upstream, and only if I
end up doing a patch, I would only then "fork" on github, then update
my local repository to point to my "fork", so that I can push then
click the "pull request" button. That's still very cumbersome.

IMO this is a completely broken and over-complicated workflow. For
long term contributors, having their own remote can be understandable.
But for one-time contribs?

> Does that
> merge request automatically create a branch in the upstream repo? How
> do we stop merge request spam, or the unbounded growth of the repo with
> all the wip branches, if that's the case?

No. AFAIK, merge requests don't create an upstream branch. Fortunately
this would be a very bad security issue!

Jehan

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot