Sebastian
Yes I did click on the right column.
 There is a similar problem, which may be another manifestation of the same bug.
As an alternative to setting the keyboard shortcuts from System
Settings->Shortcut, I installed CompizConfig SettingsManager, ticked on
'Commands' installed a command on 'Command line 0' set the 'Key Bindings' and
selected the key combination to run the shortcut. Now I am using this technique
on Ubuntu 11.04 to run 8 shortcut commands, and this work perfectly.
I used the same approach in Ubuntu 11.04, but was unable to get the shortcut to
work. I identified this problem. Each time a key command was run, 'Use This
Plugin->Enable Commands' checkbox was unticked. No mater how many times I
clicked the text box, as soon as I tried to run the Command line shortcut, the
text box was unchecked.
Please advise whether this should be reported as a separate bug.

  unable to set keyboard shortcuts

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  System Settings->Shortcuts. The shortcuts do not respond when trying to edit
a shortcut, nor is there any response when pressing Backspace to clear.
  Problem is present in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu 11.10
(Oneiric Ocelot).