Paul Carmichael, to clarify, in 14.04 was the Samsung scanner plug and
play, in that you didn't have to configure anything locally and plugged
in an ethernet cord and could immediately scan with Ubuntu via the
network?

** Description changed:

- 14.04 used to see and access my Samsung networked scanner. 16.04 doesn't
- see it. Maybe it's related to the apparently very buggy samba in 16.04?
- I don't see any windows shares either.
+ 14.04 used to see and access my Samsung Multifunction Xpress C460FW
+ networked scanner. 16.04 doesn't see it. I don't see any windows shares
+ either.

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  16.04 sane no longer sees network scanner

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu: