I made no mistake, I deleted arabic from the language list AFTER
switching back to german, relogin and rebooting, hoping at each step
that the apps would switch back to german. Only after all that fails, I
removed arabic from the list, with still no effect.

So there is definitely a bug in language-settings (and not in me) for
changing some state, which then moves to .pam_environment, and is not
removed their by language-settings afterwards.

Practically, changing a reversible state via the GUI and changing it
back does not bring back the state that was before, but another
unfortune state that can only be resolved by profound analysis. And this
is obviously a bug.

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  Language settings stuck for KDE apps

Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:

  On my Ubuntu 16.04 system, updates as of today, after switching my
  system language from german to arabic and later back using the unity-
  control-center, KDE apps got stuck to arabic language (all GUI
  elements right-to-left text in arabic language). All other apps open
  in german language.

  I now completely removed arabic from the language list (unchecked the
  box), but KDE apps still open using arabic language.