The GUI in Language Support is not a simple language *switcher*, but
it's designed to also maintain the LANGUAGE priority list and gives you
the opportunity to determine one or more fallback languages. Did you
read Language Support Help?

So if the LANGUAGE items were:

ar:de_DE:en_GB:en

and you then dragged German to the top, it resulted in:

de_DE:ar:en_GB:en

Language Support isn't a mind reader, and didn't know that your
intention was to get rid of Arabic completely. Since it was, you should
have dragged the Arabic item below the English item.

I installed Kaffeine, and found that it by default understands LANGUAGE
(including German). Didn't see the app specific help menu, but it's
probably there and overrides gettext.

Personally I think it would have been better if Language Support had had
a separate switcher for the first choice language, and another switcher
for setting possible fallback languages. If you want you can file a
wishlist bug with a suggestion along those lines.

Closing this bug.

** Changed in: language-selector (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  Language settings stuck for KDE apps

Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  On my Ubuntu 16.04 system, updates as of today, after switching my
  system language from german to arabic and later back using the unity-
  control-center, KDE apps got stuck to arabic language (all GUI
  elements right-to-left text in arabic language). All other apps open
  in german language.

  I now completely removed arabic from the language list (unchecked the
  box), but KDE apps still open using arabic language.