Thanks for the report Kathleen, and sorry to hear that your
configuration was affected.

 > Most of my bookmarks, passwords, etc., from the pre-snap version of
 > chromium are gone

How did you conclude this? Was it by observing Chromium itself, or did
you inspect the filesystem to ascertain it?

The Chromium deb stores its configuration files in
$HOME/.config/chromium, whereas the snap in $HOME/snap/chromium/common.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  installing snap chromium trashed my pre-snap files

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  Most of my bookmarks, passwords, etc., from the pre-snap version of
  chromium are gone since I installed snap chromium.

  Release:      22.04

  chromium-browser:
    Installed: 1:85.0.4183.83-0ubuntu2
    Candidate: 1:85.0.4183.83-0ubuntu2
    Version table:
   *** 1:85.0.4183.83-0ubuntu2 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  I expected my most recent bookmarks and files to be accessible after
  replacing the non-snap chromium with the snap chromium

  Instead, the only version of book marks, configuration, passwords,
  etc., are several years old