I only keep one backup, so it has been rewritten several times since the
incident.

The problem with conversion to snap is that nothing says ahead of time,
"Oh by the way you need to take these steps to preserve your data
because the snap mechanism may destroy it."

I cannot tell you which version of chromium was used in the old setup.

--
  Kathleen M. Caywood, emailkmcayw...@cox.net

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  installing snap chromium trashed my pre-snap files

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  Most of my bookmarks, passwords, etc., from the pre-snap version of
  chromium are gone since I installed snap chromium.

  Release:      22.04

  chromium-browser:
    Installed: 1:85.0.4183.83-0ubuntu2
    Candidate: 1:85.0.4183.83-0ubuntu2
    Version table:
   *** 1:85.0.4183.83-0ubuntu2 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  I expected my most recent bookmarks and files to be accessible after
  replacing the non-snap chromium with the snap chromium

  Instead, the only version of book marks, configuration, passwords,
  etc., are several years old