Hard to understand why zte can't get one thing right with this phone, anyway I
followed this tutorial:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2478426 to root the device and
install CWM which restored the functionality of my phone. Afterwards I flashed
my own builds without problem. Don't forget to use Eduardo's boot.img
(https://mega.co.nz/#!uJ52xZJa!M_YwAEXRwifN21QmQbHgNCcEc5Ml2CKw57IBGxnvdm4).