On Friday, January 3, 2014 7:57:43 PM UTC+1, Julien Wajsberg wrote:

> We're not focussing on 'top' terminals at all. As I said, ZTE Open is
>
> one of our "tier 1" terminals, that is the terminals we're specifically
>
> testing our code on.

I think the confusion is that there are apparently 2 versions of the ZTE Open -
the one you can buy on Ebay and the one that Telefonica/Movistar sells in Spain.

They are both called ZTE Open, but have different binary blobs on them so are
not compatible.

The ZTE Ebay Open is the "tier 1" model you test on. This seems to be updatable
from personal builds and is fully supported by Mozilla.

The ZTE Movistar Open is in a state of limbo. Personal builds at least break
wifi due to the MAC bug/problem described in one of the linked bugzillas above.
That was the blocker for nightlies at least. The device might not even be
flashable, presumably for "security" or some other restriction made by
Telefonica (speculation).

It's confusing. Also disappointing, as the ZTE Movistar Open is cheaper than
the Ebay one (50€ locally, no need for shipping, with some amount of prepaid
stuff included), but being so locked down means it is no good. As a user, it is
a bad choice as it probably won't be updated past 1.1. I know, you try your
best, but it is in the hands of ZTE, and handset manufacturers tend to have a
policy of "1 update and that's your lot" - that update was to 1.1. As a
developer it is risky since the chance of flashing not working is high, or if
it works then it might have bugs that will be WONTFIXED as it is not really an
officially supported tier 1 device.

Is this the state of things or have I got something horribly wrong?

Regards,
Richard