>    1.
>    2. WebChannels
>
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/JavaScript_code_modules/WebChannel.jsm>
>    in GeckoView-consuming browser-like Apps.  WebChannels are a
>    Firefox-specific chome-only feature that allows the browser chrome to
>    communicate via message-passing with trusted Web Content; they are used to
>    integrate Firefox with accounts.firefox.com and addons.mozilla.org.
>    We need something that provides this functionality in the Reference Browser
>    to support a first-class Firefox Accounts experience.  Privileged Web
>    Extensions are ideologically pure but don't have a concrete date on the
>    GeckoView roadmap.  Suggestions gratefully accepted!

Can we learn anything from how this was implemented on iOS? If I remember
correctly, we inject a helper user script into the webview, which then sets
up the right glue to do messages between the native application and the FxA
page loaded in the webview.

If WebExtensions are not our radar now, maybe we could see if a
userscripts-like API is easier to implement?

One note, and please correct me if I am wrong: but the web based FxA login
flow can not depend on GeckoView - it has to work in both the system
webview and geckoview. It is not practical for non-browser applications to
pull in a giant dependency on GeckoView if all they need is a place to show
a web based login flow. Whatever we do here needs to work in both the
system webview and geckoview.

 S.