On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 7:43 AM Stefan Arentz <sare...@mozilla.com> wrote:

>>    1.
>>    2. WebChannels
>>
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/JavaScript_code_modules/WebChannel.jsm>
>>    in GeckoView-consuming browser-like Apps.  WebChannels are a
>>    Firefox-specific chome-only feature that allows the browser chrome to
>>    communicate via message-passing with trusted Web Content; they are used to
>>    integrate Firefox with accounts.firefox.com and addons.mozilla.org.
>>    We need something that provides this functionality in the Reference
>> Browser
>>    to support a first-class Firefox Accounts experience.  Privileged Web
>>    Extensions are ideologically pure but don't have a concrete date on the
>>    GeckoView roadmap.  Suggestions gratefully accepted!
>>

> Can we learn anything from how this was implemented on iOS? If I remember
> correctly, we inject a helper user script into the webview, which then sets
> up the right glue to do messages between the native application and the FxA
> page loaded in the webview.
>
> One note, and please correct me if I am wrong: but the web based FxA login
> flow can not depend on GeckoView - it has to work in both the system
> webview and geckoview. It is not practical for non-browser applications to
> pull in a giant dependency on GeckoView if all they need is a place to show
> a web based login flow. Whatever we do here needs to work in both the
> system webview and geckoview.

Yes, we can learn from iOS, and I believe your memory is correct.  The
WebView way to wire up messages from Web Content is
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/webkit/WebView.html#addJavascriptInterface(java.lang.Object,%20java.lang.String)
IIRC.

If WebExtensions are not our radar now, maybe we could see if a
> userscripts-like API is easier to implement?

 It's my belief that the GV team is explicitly trying to avoid adding such
an API.  I'll let snorp and others say more, but the desire is to have
_one_ API for talking to Web Content rather than building a
content-interfacing API/platform parallel to Web Extensions.  I do not have
much context here, though, so -- snorp?  Others?  Links to tickets tracking
the viewpoints would be helpful.

Nick