On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 5:26 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Indeed. I think this is a somewhat different issue than net
> neutrality. With net neutrality there's a middle party trying to build
> a business model by disrupting the traffic between a user and the
> content the user is accessing.
>
> Here there's a content provider choosing to distribute its content
> using different policies to different groups of people.
>
> The latter is much more similar to how some content providers choose
> to only distribute content to people from a particular country. It's
> annoying as hell, but it's not a net neutrality issue as I see it.

It's not an net neutrality issue. I said it was in the ballpark or
near the ballpark. Tying Web site access to a particular hardware
seems very anti-Mission. After all, the Web is supposed to be device
independent. In particular, device independence is both a key strength
of the open Web and a prerequisite for an open Web.

If this is the sort of thing where principles need to be bent in order
to work with hardware partners, I suggest this be accomplished by
sending the business model enablement tokens only to the sites
participating in such arrangements instead of broadcasting them to the
whole Web and giving every site the opportunity to goof with UA
sniffing, since site *will* goof with UA sniffing given the
opportunity.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@iki.fi