On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:52:10 PM UTC-5, Josh Aas wrote:
> I've been thinking about how we might improve access to telemetry data. I
> don't want to get too much into the issues with the current front-end, so
> suffice it to say that it isn't meeting my group's needs.

A few people have pinged me and asked me to respond on this thread, based on
experiences with Socorro.

I think it would be good to work out the use cases that are needed, but here
are possible some options for opening up the data:
- Open up a reporting instance of HBase for adhoc queries (perhaps via Pig -
this is easy to learn and working well for Socorro. There are newer options
like Impala, too)
- Enable searches/faceting through ElasticSearch - we have some generic UI for
this in the pipeline, which may be able to be reused.
- Create more JSON/CSV dumps and make them available.  Many of the Socorro
reports are created based on prototypes somebody in Engineering made with CSV
data and a script.
- Consider dumping some of the data into a relational DB. This is a common
pattern (the so-called "data mullet") which makes querying accessible to a
greater number of people.
- Build a simple API in front of one or more of these data sources to make it
easier for people to write their own front ends and reporting.
- Finally, work on the front end to support the most commonly needed queries
and reports. This could fall out of the work done on some of the other options.

Cheers

Laura