On Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:57:04 AM UTC-8, Taras Glek wrote:
> Justin Lebar wrote:
>
> > It sounds to me like people want both
>

> > 1) Easier access to aggregated data so they can build their own
>
> > dashboards roughly comparable in features to the current dashboards.
>

> I doubt people actually want to build own dashboards. I suspect this is
>
> mainly a need because of deficiencies in the current dashboard.
>

> > 2) Easier access to raw databases so that people can build up more
>
> > complex analyses, either by exporting the raw data from the db, or by
>
> > analyzing it in the db.
>

> > That is, I don't think we can or should export JSON with all the data
>
> > in our databases.  That is a lot of data.
>

>  From concrete examples I've seen so far, people want basic
>
> aggregations. My FE in http://people.mozilla.org/~tglek/dashboard/ works
>
> on aggregated histogram JSONs. It seems completely reasonable to
>
> aggregate all of the other info + simple_measurement fields(and is on my
>
> TODO). This would solve all of the other concrete use-cases mentioned
>
> (flash versions, hardware stats)
>

> I think we can be more aggressive still. We can also allow filtering
>
> certain histograms by one of those highly variable info fields(eg TAB
>
> animations vs gfx hardware, specific chromehangs vs something useful,
>
> etc) without unreasonable overhead overhead.
>

> I like my aggregated JSON approach because it's cheap on server CPU and
>
> as long as one partitions JSON carefully, it can be compact-enough for
>
> gzip encoding to make it fast-enough to download. This should also make
>
> it easy to fork the dashboards, contribute, etc.
>

> I hope to feed more data into my frontend by end of today and will aim
>
> for a live-ish dashboard by end of next week.
>

> For advanced use-cases, we can stick with hadoop querying.
>

> ==Help wanted==
>

> If anyone knows a dev who is equally good at stats & programming, let me
>
> know. I think we have a lot of useful data, we can handle some
>
> visualizations of that data, but a person skilled at extracting signal
>
> out of noisy sources could help us squeeze the most use out of our data.

I'm pretty interested in this problem. I won't be so bold to say that I am
"skilled" in this area, but I have been successful in finding interesting
things in some noisy data sets.

So, I'm putting my hand up, and I'll see what I can do over the next few days
to hack around at it.

If others are interested in collaboration, please just ping me. :) I'm on
Laura's team, working primarily on Socorro.

> If someone wants to help with aggregations, I can hook you up with raw
> json dumps from hadoop.

I'm also interested in this, and probably more qualified to do this in the
short term, anyway. :)

Is there a wishlist?

-selena