Good points, comments below.

"Ed Morley" <emor...@mozilla.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1992.1362404580.24452.dev-platf...@lists.mozilla.org>...
(CCing auto-to...@mozilla.com)

jmaher and jhammel will be able to comment more on the talos specifics, but few thoughts off the top of my head:

It seems like we're conflating multiple issues here:
  1) "[talos] is a separate repo from mc"
  2) "[it's a hassle to] test the test to be sure it’s working"
  3) "[it's a hassle to get results] populated in graph server"
4) "[we need to] come up with a good way to manage the life cycle of active perf tests so graph server doesn’t become polluted"

Switching from the talos harness to mochitest doesn't fix #2 (we still have to test, and I don't see how it magically becomes any easier without extra work - that could have been applied to talos instead)

I disagree here, very few devs are familiar with the talos framework and what it takes to get a new test written. Everyone is very familiar with mochitest and other related test frameworks on mc. I can write a mochitest to test perf in something simple like scrolling in about an hour. Putting together a talos scroll test would take much longer. If Talos were on mc it would help, but integrating into existing test frameworks we have and use on a regular basis seems like the simplest approach with the least amount of overhead.

Instead, I think we should be asking:
1) Is the best test framework for performance testing: [a] talos (with improvements), [b] mochitest (with a significant amount of work to make it compatible), or [c] a brand new framework?

On [b] there might be a significant amount of work in getting infra pieces to work maybe (like graph server or whatever we plan to replace it with) but not in writing a import module that devs would use to post data.

2) Regardless of framework used, would checking it into mozilla-central improve dev workflow enough to outweigh the downsides (see bug 787200 for history on that discussion)?

Maybe we might want to keep talos around for "big, important tests". But I think devs need a way to run perf tests on a smaller scale that doesn't involve infra changes. I think having this ability would be a big win for us.

Jim