Note that things started changing in the WebGL world since the last time
that this was discussed.

With the Blink fork, the Chromium community started their switch from
prefixes to behind-a-flag for new WebGL extensions. They didn't change
already-implemented extensions (presumably to avoid breaking compatibility)
but started applying this to new extensions, such as WEBGL_draw_buffers.

We discussed this and want to do the same (we don't want to break
compatibility for already-implemented extensions either, but they will be
unprefixed as they moved to Community Approved status). Our implementation
of WEBGL_draw_buffers, which is about to land, see bug 843667, introduces a
webgl.enable-draft-extensions preference (of course, defaulting to false).

Just to say, WebGL won't have to be an exception after all --- at least not
newer WebGL extensions.

Benoit