I don't really think there is a controversy here network wise - mostly
applicability is a case of "I know it when I see it" and the emphasis here
is on things that are exposed at the webdev level is the right thing.
Sometimes that's markup, sometimes that's header names which can touch on
core protocol topics (but usually don't)... and just because
Content-Security-Policy probably is one of those things, it doesn't mean
every other header is too. That's a fine clarification that I think is
already in sync with the proposal.

Brian and I deal with a lot of things that can be negotiated on a protocol
level and therefore don't have to stand the test of time because they
aren't baked into markup or semantics that need to live forever... when
done well they have built in fallbacks that allow iteration and real
experience before baking them into standards. That's awesome for the
Internet and I don't sense anybody on this thread trying to disrupt that.

So while we should be experimenting with 50 different implementations to
make your network traffic faster and more secure we shouldn't be as freely
messing with the semantics of that. And I think we're decent at that.. an
interesting case in point is SPDY - I have a stack of requests from folks
doing sophisticated Real User Monitoring/RUM (e.g. Akamai) that want to be
able to track whether or not a page was loaded with some version of spdy
and therefore need some kind of content-js accessible indicator. Its
totally reasonable. But, while I have totally rearranged everything about
the network transfer with spdy and will probably be doing it again shortly,
I've been hesitant to add a small bit of markup to the DOM that might
fragment markup and javascript without some effort at standardization.
(Chrome has a mechanism if anybody is interested in taking that topic up
fwiw.).