On 8/30/13 14:11, Adam Roach wrote:
...helping the user understand why the headline they're trying to read renders as "Ð' Ð"оÑ?дÑfме пÑEURедложили оÑ,обÑEURаÑ,ÑOE "Ð?обелÑ?" Ñf Ðz(бамÑ< " rather than "? ??????? ?????????? ???????? "??????" ? ?????".

Well, *there's* a heavy dose of irony in the context of this thread. I wonder what rules our mailing list server applies for character set decimation.

When I sent that out, the question marks were a perfectly readable string of Cyrillic characters.

Which provides a strong object lesson in the fact that character set configuration is hard. If we can't get this right internally, I think we've lost the moral ground in saying that others should be able to, and tough luck if they can't.

/a