On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:12:08 AM UTC+4, Yoav Weiss wrote:

> Last time I checked, about 60% of all PNG image traffic (so about ~9% of all
> Web traffic, according to HTTPArchive.org) is PNGs of color type 6, so 24 bit
> lossless images with an alpha channel. A large part of these PNGs are
> real-life images that would've been better represented with a lossy format,
> but since they require an alpha channel, authors have no choice but to use
> lossless PNG. (I have no data on *how many* of these PNGs are real life
> photos, but I hope I'll have some soon).

Searching for transparent PNG images, there are mostly logos and graphs, not
real-life photos:

https://www.google.com/search?as_st=y&tbm=isch&hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=&as_oq=the+OR+be+OR+to+OR+of&as_eq=&cr=&as_sitesearch=&safe=images&tbs=ic:trans,ift:png

Maybe because it's easy to export transparent PNG logos from a vector editor,
but drawing clean alpha channel for real-life photos takes time and effort.