On 1/6/2014 7:38 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> I tend to think that we should either:
>  * stick to 80
>  * require no wrapping, meaning that comments must be one paragraph
>    per line, boolean conditions must all be single line, and assume
>    that people will deal, using an editor that handles such code
>    usefully

Since I'm seeing a lot of people advocating that the wrap margin should be 100,
let me reiterate
David Baron's comment that the wrap margin must either be 80 or infinite with a
self-demonstrating
response. I once suggested a wider wrap margin as a compromise years ago, but I
have come around to
the viewpoint that the only acceptable wrap margins are 80 and infinite.

The absolute worst visual display to read is when you have text that contains a
mixture of soft
wraps (caused by lines longer than your display) with hard wraps (caused by a
max-line-length
requirement). The text in this post is set up to emulate the display of text
that has a hard wrap at
around the 100th character being displayed on an 80-character terminal window.
Thus, this is the
code that people using 80-character terminal windows will be subjected to in
places that have heavy
paragraph-style text (e.g., README files, documentation comments, or even really
long regular
comment blocks).

Now, you can argue that people should just resize their windows to be <insert
desired wrap margin
here>. I suspect that many of the people making this arguments are people who
use GUI editors that
have 120+-character viewports for code, arguing for the ability to utilize what
it is often just
dead whitespace in their editor and frustrated that people using "older"
technology are limiting use
of this space. As one who uses 80-character terminals heavily, I can report that
changing the size
of the terminal is generally not a viable option. Many people who use smaller
terminal sizes fill up
the screen real estate by tiling the terminals. On smaller resolutions and
larger font sizes,
changing the screen size even to 100 makes it impossible to tile more than two
windows horizontally
on the screen: changing the screen size is impossible. Furthermore, the default
size for a terminal
has been decided on by universal convention to be 80x24: any would-be
contributor to Mozilla who
uses the default-sized terminals would be forced to either put up with the
painful reading of
poorly-wrapped lines or to figure out how to retool their entire workflow just
to be able to
contribute--and I suspect that many would instead find themselves driven away.

Infinitely-long lines do not have the same problems that wrapping at any value
> 80 does: most
editors are capable of soft-wrapping them to some degree of legibility. The
problem isn't that some
lines have to be wrapped as much as it is that the lines are wrapped at
completely wrong places.