On 1/14/2014 3:17 PM, ajvinc...@gmail.com wrote:
I'd like to get a clarified list of requirements for the Firefox SDK:

* Will we support a stub executable?
If somebody writes a patch to include a stub executable in the SDK, I will accept that patch. If you include automated tests for it, I'll count that as a form of "support". But if it breaks, we wouldn't close the tree or block the release on it.
* Will we support an install-app capability in the SDK?
If you want to include those scripts in the SDK, I'll review it.
* Will Mac SDK users be able to create .app files that actually work?
I don't know. If somebody does the work, sure!
   * Will they have a XUL.framework in them?
Probably not.
* Will we still publish headers, binary tools, etc. in a convenient package for
component developers to use?
We will continue to publish the SDK.
* Can we import Philipp Kewisch's wonderful remote debugger extension, so that
Firefox can remotely debug the XULRunner app?  (By the way, that works in XR
apps now.)
Maybe?
* Will we have automated regression tests run daily to make sure the SDK is
still viable?
Probably not. Even if somebody wrote the test framework, this is low priority compared with other tasks that automation or releng have.
* Can we get everything in place and make an ESR SDK as well?

I don't think it matters. The SDK isn't supposed to change between security dot releases, so typically you wouldn't need a new one; you'd just keep using the base version for the life of the ESR release. But at the same time, if the SDK is a byproduct of the Firefox build, we'll get it "for free" with the Firefox ESR builds.

--BDS