On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Brian Smith <br...@briansmith.org> wrote:
>> It seems likely that if something like Moz2D became the standard API then
>> we'd be able to optimize it more easily than we'd be able to optimize an API
>> that worked much differently than Moz2D.
>
> No, because asm.js code must go through Web platform APIs, and the Web
> platform API you would implement cairo bindings on top of is canvas-2D, and
> that's fixed in stone

I don't think it is fixed in stone that asm.js code must go through
Web Platform APIs. I believe the requirement is that it must be
possible to translate asm.js code into Web Platform APIs in a way
where the result works reasonably. AFAICT, there's nothing technically
stopping us from implementing any kind of specially-optimized
passthrough logic for any particular API, and also I think that idea
is compatible politically with our stance on asm.js, compared to
"ActiveG."

> --- and we have it implemented on top of Moz2D, and it
> works well, better than when we had canvas-2D implemented on cairo.

Good to know.

Cheers,
Brian