On 4/16/2014 12:37 PM, Wes Johnston wrote:
Something like this is needed for integration of B2G WebApps on Android. Without it, they have no way of talking to one another, let alone any way of talking to Native Apps. The best they can provide is launching a uri with a specific scheme and to hope something on the other end is able to pick it up. There's also no way to get a return value from that app.

I don't think we can provide a compelling experience there without providing something like this. We're planning to hold this to non-release builds for now though.

When you say "intent to implement" what is it you're planning on implementing?

* web activities between b2g-style webapps on Android
* web activities called by sites loaded in the Firefox for Android browser?
* web activities provided by sites loaded in the Firefox for Android browser? * webapps can call into native apps via web activities APIs (e.g. sharing->native twitter)?
* webapps exposing intents to native Android apps via activities?

Intents do seem like a pretty fundamental part of an app ecosystem, but there seems to be a big disconnect between the stated intent to implementing them for Android and yet having no clear plan to standardize them. I strongly feel we shouldn't ship this (to release users on Android/desktop) until we have a stable spec. What's the point of implementing this if we don't also have plans to standardize and ship it?

--BDS