On Apr 16, 2014, at 1:49 PM, Gavin Sharp <ga...@gavinsharp.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> Are beacons primarily meant as tracking devices, or is it also meant as
>>> a way to persist unsaved page state when the user navigates?
>
>> Beacons do not enable any new ways of tracking which is not already
>> possible.
>
> That's not an answer to bsmedberg's question. The question is whether
> there are expected to be enough non-"tracking" use cases for
> sendBeacon in practice, such that it would become problematic to
> conflate "disable sendBeacon" with "disable tracking".

I don't know about "problematic", but ISTM that it might be useless.  If people
disable sendBeacon in an effort to avoid tracking, then the trackers can always
just test and polyfill with XHR.  If you really want "disable tracking", you're
going to have to do a lot more, and probably break a lot of the web.

--Richard